What Do Teachers Do in the Summer?

 I am asked this question all of the time. Are you going to work this summer? Are you planning to teach summer school? 

The quick answer for me is NO! However, I do attend workshops that interest me, participate in PLCs, and plan the summer orientation for our incoming freshmen. But, I do NOT overwhelm my summer with school work. 

I have worked long enough to understand the importance of renewing my energy over the summer. I have learned to take a very nice (but short, so that I can afford it) vacation that begins on Memorial Day so that the travel rates are a little cheaper. On these trips, I spoil myself for just a few days. I eat when I want to eat, I sleep when I want to sleep,  go see new things, and best of all, someone takes care of me for a few days. I love having the hotel room cleaned up for me because I've spent the last 10 months taking care of others, so this makes me feel like someone is taking care of me for a change. 

Those vacations are usually short because I would rather do a short first-class vacation than worry about my spending and have to cut corners that week. The purpose of this trip is to have a really great time and forget about being a teacher for just a few days. 

This year, my husband and I went to Savannah. We stayed at a nice boutique hotel right on River Street and had a great time. 






If you are a new teacher still trying to make ends meet, do what you can while you still have the energy to do it. But, do something that you enjoy. I've had some great summer jobs. I've tutored, taught summer school, worked fast food, and even worked at the tax department. Sometimes, I even got paid for going to or workshops - quite frankly - that is the BEST way to spend your summer. You get to travel, learn, and get those CEU's all at the same time. I have seen the world that way and you can too! Just make sure to read those emails! 

For me this week,  I will spend the week summer cleaning. I start at the top of my house and clean it from "top to bottom" as they say. I want to clean up the old year and get ready for the new. I even start a "back to school" box that I will fill as I go through the summer, but that is the subject of another blog. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Days

Welcome!